    SubjectRe: Boot messages (Was: Re: Ideas for v2.1)
    On 28 Jun 1996, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

    > >Yes, you missed the point. The point is that some people do not want
    > >to see the boot messages. By the time init is spawned the kernel has
    > >already spewed out several pages of cryptic stuff and you might as
    > >well start X.
    > >
    > Being credited, however briefly, in the bootup phase of millions of
    > computers is also a motivating factor for Linux developers. I think
    > it isn't more than fair that they get their credit.

    It is also the case that the kernel source contains all of the credits, and
    that having a clean simple boot for those who are more comfortable with it
    will tend to produce a favorable impression of Linux in new users,
    particularly those who haven't used a unix-style system before.

    Perhaps it would be useful to display one, brief copyright-and-credits
    notice which directs the user to a file containing all of the credits.

    This can be done easily enough, in official or unofficial kernel patches.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.017 / U:21.188 seconds]