SubjectRe: Oracle for Linux? (was Re: kernel bloat)

On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Emil Stepniewski wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jun 1996 msmith@quix.robins.af.mil wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > Lets stop this thread. Noone is bashing Linux, it has undeniable performance
> > benchmarks (see David's post) but there are still a lot of people out there
> > that dont have the liberty to run Linux on mission critical systems.
> > When I see an Oracle database port for Linux I will be the first to shout
> > "Hallelueah!!!!!!!"
> >
> > Btw, has anyone discussed this to Oracle? Many government groups use
> > Oracle or Sybase and if a company like Oracle showed enough faith in
> > Linux, then my bosses would probably follow.
>
> In April a friend of mine was at some Oracle conference or so and after the
> event he talked with an Oracle man. He told my friend that Oracle 'due to
> popular demand' really consider porting their database to Linux after 2.0
> shows up, and maybe even selling it for less money (rather hard to believe)
> than for other platforms.
>
> Even if there are no so plans I think it's nice that Oracle official
> know about Linux and that kernel 2.0 is coming soon (again, it was April).
>

> > Melvin
> >

> Emil

let's also rember one fact about Oracle...they LOVE porting their software..
I do belive that i heard a joke some where about them having a VIC-20 port..

i would asume that it's very likely with in the next two years...
i have a friend who was one of the senior programers when sybase started
out and i'll ask him if he can find out what their up to..

l8'r
-jj-

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.093 / U:0.396 seconds]