    SubjectRe: File Descriptors & Linux 2.0
    Followup to:  <4qs1aq$>
    By author: (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
    In newsgroup:
    > I just checked the Linux-2.0.0 kernel and the sys_select function never
    > writes further in your fd_set than the nr_fds argument to select(). This
    > means that if NR_OPEN is increased, and the size of fd_set increases with it,
    > it doesn't have consequences for older applications. The only thing is that
    > an old application can't handle a fd > 255 in a select() if one is passed
    > through fork()/exec() but I know of no applications that do this. So I think
    > you can do this without trouble.
    > If it's the other way around, and you try to pass a nr_fds > NR_OPEN to
    > select() the kernel sys_select function will round it down to NR_OPEN
    > quietly. So that doesn't cause trouble either.
    > Somehow I get the feeling that sys_select() was coded with this already
    > in mind..

    How many applications do you know that actually check if the file
    descriptor they get from the kernel is in the range 0 <= fd < NR_OPEN?
    Most apps just use FD_SET() without any further checking.

    PGP public key available - finger
    I don't work for Yggdrasil, but they sponsor the linux.* hierarchy.
    "The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." -- Bahá'u'lláh
    Just Say No to Morden * Save Babylon 5:

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.019 / U:8.228 seconds]