    SubjectRe: real kernel bloat
    On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, Alex Krimkevich wrote:

    > almost anything. It is true that DEC's kernel is several Megs in size,
    > but don't forget it is capable of much more than Linux is, and,
    > arguably, will ever be. The lacking capabilities are of no concern
    > to most people, however the truth remains: Digital UNIX is a better
    > multitasking, multiuser OS than Linux. I am no DEC's or Sun's fan,

    So what can Digital UNIX do that Linux cannot? I think your reasoning is
    quite flawed. I think it is quite possible for a conglomeration of people
    all over the net investing only their free time to come out with an
    operating system that can easily compete with commercial OS's. I think
    Linux's main problem is the crappy PC hardware it's based on. That's why
    I'm going to buy an Alpha as soon as I get some bucks saved up. 15 years
    of backwards compatibility has got to have some negative effect on a
    platform. I spent all afternoon trying to work out the LBA on the IDE's on
    my boss's new machine which runs Win95. I've decided once and for all that
    I truely despise PC hardware. If I ever see another > 1024 cylinder IDE
    HD, irq conflict, 16 bit program, floppy tape drive hack, I'm gonna puke.

    Tracy Reed http://rohan.sdsu.edu/home/treed IRC-Maelcum
    Check out DALnet! The best IRC network around: http://www.dal.net
    "She moves in mysterious ways..."

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:2.716 / U:1.540 seconds]