    SubjectRe: No Distribution is 2.0.0 Current
    Others wrote:
    >> Thanks for the warning. I guess Debian will never be the choice for
    >> a serious Computer Professional.

    >I see you capitalize "Computer Professional"... is it a name brand?

    I downloaded the 2.0.0 kernel June 11, 1996 and built it.
    It has been running since then - no reboots.

    My system was built April 29, 1996 from a Slackware CD
    with 1.2.13 kernel.

    I have since gotten several components via ftp for add/upgrade.

    I use the system continually as a test web/ftp server. I telnet
    over my LAN from a windoze -95 system and edit everything in
    place on the Linux filesystem. Virtual IP and virtual hosting
    are working fine.

    Being a complete idiot, I confine myself to C, Perl5, CGI, shell
    scripting, HTML, SSI, and the like.

    After testing things, I ftp them to the "real" server. My Linux
    system is actually more versatile than the web hosting service.
    I have been trying to find a local ISP who will let me put a Linux
    system online, so I can offer anonymous ftp.

    I guess I am not a "Computer Professional" because I didn't take
    something out of a box, bark commands at it, and amaze my friends
    and relatives.

    When I get a CD recorder, I will be offering a distribution for
    the "Computer Professionals" out there. It will be 100% freely
    redistributable.

    BTW - what is the typical street price for NT server OS?
    How many users at that price? How many of you "Computer
    Professionals" are running legal copies of your broken
    toys?

    Paul Wade - Greenbush Systems

    * http://www.wtop.com/ - THE OTHER WEBSITE *

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:10.027 / U:0.004 seconds]