SubjectRe: No Distribution is 2.0.0 Current
Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 00:23:26 +0000
> From: hab <hab@ece.engr.ucf.edu>
>
> In my opinion no Distribution is Linux 2.0.0 current.
> To me to be 2.0.0 current all free packages must be compiled
> against the Linux 2.0.0 source tree, with the same libc or later than
> the developers use. It must also include the kernel support utilities
> that have been patched to work with 2.0.0 and all support tools need
> to be updated to support all the standard features of 2.0.0.
>
> It all depends on your requirements for a "Linux 2.0" distribution. For
> most users, it makes not a whit of difference whether or not a program
> like "awk" is compiled under the 2.0 or a 1.2 or 1.3 kernel....

I understand the point. As long as a program executes correctly who cares.
Libc probably breaks more code than the Kernel. However, I believe the
proper goal is to have stable reliable operation. My current system is
mix-master of elf, a.out
etc. of unknown origin. I never know what is going to show up broken next.
Probably right in the middle of crunch time. But how long do we want to
keep supporting legacy binaries. How, long do we need to use static
libraries. I guess it is just a dream to get a common base moved forward
to a newer generation. My hope that Linux 2.0.0 would be that landmark
that everybody could agree on. To me 1.0.x was the first one that lasted
2.5 years or better. Elf is a major change that should come, but 2.0.0 is
the first new Stable release since ELf. Yes patches and retrofits made Elf
available under 1.2.13.
Hubert

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.025 / U:0.588 seconds]