    SubjectRe: Problem with sound driver in 2.0.0
    On 22 Jun 1996, Chris Adams wrote:

    > I am trying to use the sound driver in 2.0.0 with a ProAudio Spectrum 16
    > sound card, and it doesn't work. All I get is:
    >
    > Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
    This is a generic error message which means that the driver didn't get
    interrupt from the device within a timeout interval. The most likely
    reason (99% of all cases) is some kind IRQ and/or DMA configuration problem.

    If you don't hear any sound, it's almost certainly some kind of DMA
    problem. However this should not be possible with other than jumper
    configurable cards.

    The other case is 0.5 to 1 seconds of sound in the beginning with SB/SB
    Pro or 10 seconds of _looping_ sound with other cards. This is caused by
    hardware level IRQ problems. For example the same IRQ is being used by
    some other device or the configured IRQ doesn't match jumpers.

    The third case could be called as "astrological" problems. The device
    works in most cases but then just stops working randomly. There are
    lots of possible reasons including hardware/driver/application bugs so
    giving an answer without knowing more details is impossible.

    Is there anybody who has a PAS16 working with Linux 2.0.0?

    Best regards,

    Hannu
    Hannu Savolainen (hannu@voxware.pp.fi, hannu@4front-tech.com)
    http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/voxware/hannu.html (my home page)
    http://www.4Front-Tech.com/uss.html (UNIX Sound System (USS))
    http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/voxware (USS Lite/TASD/VoxWare)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:3.880 / U:0.576 seconds]