    SubjectRe: SCSI device numbering (was: Re: Ideas for v2.1
    Eric Youngdale:

    : .... Clearly a larger
    : dev_t is needed, no matter how we do it. We need to somehow agree on how
    : large this needs to be, and *then* we need to fix the filesystems so that
    : they store a dev_t that is this large.

    Yes. I think we do not have very much choice:
    POSIX requires dev_t to be an arithmetic type (so it cannot be a struct),
    which on Intel limits us to 64 bits.
    Since changing is slow and painful it seems a bad idea to go to 32 bits
    and have to change again a few years later.
    On the other hand, not many C compilers support long long, so a 64-bit
    dev_t would limit us to gcc. I don't know whether that would be a
    problem for anybody.

    Andries