    SubjectRe: Console as terminal on serial port
    "Michael Mansour said:"
    >Just configure a getty in /etc/inittab to access a dumb terminal via null
    >modem serial cable. Use mgetty, it handles it well.

    Ah, not as easy are you think. Getty runs AFTER the system is booted.
    Thus, all boot time stuff from LILO until getty is not seen.
    Basically, I would like to NOT put any video card in the system. The
    motherboards I use permit this to happen (I think). I don't want to
    find a video card and monitor each time I can't do something over a
    serial port.

    Most workstations support booting up from a dumb term or a frame
    buffer/graphics card. I would just like to do this with Linux on a PC.

    Mark Buckaway | |
    If it wasn't for C, we would be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL!
    Subscribe to the Funny Jokes and Funny stuff or the Movie Review mailing
    lists. Send email to with "subscribe funny"
    or "subscribe movies" in the message body.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.019 / U:141.624 seconds]