SubjectRe: Simple, effective boot graphic

Mark> On Thu, 20 Jun 1996, Albert Cahalan wrote:
>> No, it MUST. You are one of many who have missed the point.
>> If you can find someone with a Mac (retail store even), ask
>> them to let you see the Mac boot. The Mac will actually smile
>> at you. It most definitely does not spew technobabble.

Mark> But I LIKE the technobable! When I first booted Linux
Mark> after having only experienced DOS/Windows and Mac, I though
Mark> "WOW! an OS that actually tells you what's going on during
Mark> the boot process."

Mark> I also think it looks much more "high-end" to print out
Mark> messages like that rather than put up a graphic.

MUST? I don't agree. Let's make it optional.

LIKE the technobabble? Me too, but I do not argue that we should make
it mandatory (I don't think you do either).

Why don't we just add something to replace the kernel which lilo can
boot to? It will put put a graphic, and then load the real kernel in
the background. Hit 'ESC', and you drop back to the text screen with
the bootup messages on it, in case you want to see why something got
stuck. If you don't want it, don't put it in your liloconfig, and
don't have lilo install it.

If such a booter is installed, it would be nice if it were designed to
hand off the display gracefully to the X system, so Linux could then be
GUI all the way from the end of BIOS boot, to a ready system.

Some folks would like to have something like this, which would at the
same time get rid of all the bootup messages.

I suggest we skip the animation, since the idea is to boot, not waste
CPU moving pixels around. If someone wants it, though, let them have
it. A better place for animations would be in a screen saver. Here's
an idea: Make an X or SVGAlib interface which can read Windows Screen
Saver binaries (like After Dark) and play them on Linux (without Wine).

Even though the technical folks (like me) would rather see text, and
OS messages, Linux would do well with the general public if it
contained more GUI-oriented support, from start to finish.

Again, all of this should be optional. That's what I like about Linux:
If you don't like something, you can do something different. Freedom!

---
Andrew C. Esh mailto:andrew_esh@cnt.com
Computer Network Technology andrewes@mtn.org (finger for PGP key)
6500 Wedgwood Road 612.550.8000 (main)
Maple Grove MN 55311 612.550.8229 (direct)
http://www.cnt.com - CNT Inc. Home Page
http://www.mtn.org/~andrewes - ACE Home Page

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:1.471 / U:1.088 seconds]