SubjectRe: [no tech content] list moderation
Kevin M Bealer wrote:

> It seems to me that this list's problem is not moderation -- most of us
> would be glad to not reply/reply elsewhere if corrected, but the turn around
> is around a week for a dead-thread to end.. (or so it seems)
>
> I think a better solution would be to give a few trusted folk keys to the
> list such that they could kill all further propagation of a thread.
>
> A single short 'cap' message would end each thread, ie "Sorry this thread
> was deemed : off-topic, and has been ended, signed Mister X.".
>
> Further replys to such threads would be bounced, each limit being lifted in
> say 15 or 30 days so that the "namespace" would not be filled up.
>
> I think this dead-thread control would handle around 1/2 to 2/3 of the
> "junk" without getting into a user-by-user control which would create
> unnecessary (IMHO) tension. Some junk is unavoidable.
>
> Perhaps a mandatory 7-day lurk (read only) period. (not applicable to people
> on vacations etc, only first time.)
>
> (BTW: If you feel _this_ is off-topic, shoot me a note and I'll shuddup.)

IMHO, everyone who is complaining about the junk should get a
life and learn to use the 'next' button(whatever it may be for your
mailreader). There is no one on this list who is threatening to break
your arm if you don't read each and every mail message. I quite
commonly will skip large sections of the mailing list because I find
the subject matter to be boring, outside of my own interests, or full
of spam.

I don't intend to start some kind of holy war here, but all the
posts about this guy is flaming that guy for being offtopic seem to
be one of the biggest causes of problems for the list. If we can all
control ourselves and our tempers for the short time that we all
read this list, there will be no need for the above proposed excess
administration. Needless to say, I do not support the above plan.

--Darrin

BTW - it really helps a lot if you get a mailreader that will thread
the list(like the newsreaders do).

> __kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__1.99.7___
> The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men
> of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.
> -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.074 / U:0.196 seconds]