SubjectRe: Boot messages (Was: Re: Ideas for v2.1)
Date
From: miquels@q.cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)

> Uhm, all VGA cards support redefining the character set right?

I think so, but maybe not cheap notebooks.

> So why don't you just redefine the upper 64 characters and display
> them in a block of 8x8. That way, you will still be in text mode
> and LILO and the kernel can display all debugging messages they want.
That is the _problem_. You may think it is truly sick, but many
people do not want to see the boot up messages. The cryptic
messages remind these people of their cluelessness.

> Of course the kernel should reset the characterset just
> before starting the first user process.

There is no reason to care because the system would only run X.
You could even remove the vt102 emulation from the kernel.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.023 / U:0.804 seconds]