SubjectRe: fddi

Bryn Paul Arnold Jones writes:
-> On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Alan Cox wrote:
->
-> > > It's a bus system like thinnet (ethernet over Coax), but I think it's
-> > > token based like token ring. I'm not sure about the copper, or the
-> > > tokens, so don't quote me on them. I'm resonably sure about the others,

-> > > but still don't quote me ;)
-> >
-> > The other great advantage of FDDI not to be overlooked when its between
-> > buildings is that it melts when hit by lightning instead of destroying the
-> > devices connected to it
-> >
-> >
-> > Alan
-> >
-> Ahh yes, it doesn't need copious RF/Lightning shielding ;)
->

There seems to be some confusion over FDDI. Well, I've done enough
work with FDDI, so maybe I can clear up a few things.

FDDI is a fiber optic protocol (Fiber Distributed Data Interface),
with a token-based double wire transmission scheme. A FDDI network
usually consists of a main ring, which can have concentrators
branching off it. The main ring passes a token in one direction
around the ring, while data goes the opposite direction over the other
fiber. It's a 100 Mbps protocol, usually used for connecting
high-performance computers or for backbones. If anyone has any more
questions about FDDI, I can try to answer them, but I'm not really an
expert, so don't get TOO technical :)

-Larry
--
Larry Daffner | Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
vizzie@airmail.net | http://www.linux.org/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:1.515 / U:0.196 seconds]