    SubjectRe: make
    Date
    Anders Broberg wrote:

    > On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Mait Mandel wrote:
    >
    > > For the last two days I get the error:
    > > make: *** No rule to make target '../(whatever)/..' . Stop.
    > > or make: *** No targets and makefile found. Stop.
    > > Although there is a Makefile in the directory and there are targets (all:
    > > , install: , whatever else) in the Makefile.
    >
    > Try updating your "make" to a more recent version. I experienced the same
    > problem when i upgraded the kernel, but make-3.74-elf-libc-5 worked a lot
    > better than the old one.
    >
    > Maybe someone could explain what made the old "make" stop working?

    Extract from the file release.libc-5.2.18 by H.J. <hjl@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
    found on sunsite and other mirrors (if anyone has bothered to do some basic
    "read-before-you-install" kinda thing!)

    ------------ begin release.libc-5.2.18 ----------------
    [...]

    The structure DIR, defined in sysdeps/linux/dirstream.h, was changed in
    release 5.2.0. If you upgrade from release 5.1.4 or earlier to release
    5.2.0 or later, you must reboot after installing the new libraries. If
    you compile your own library, *do not* "make install". Instead, copy the
    new libc.so* to /lib, do "ldconfig -v", reboot, then do "make install"

    A dirent bug, which erroneously defined d->reclen to d->namlen if USE_GNU
    was defined, has been fixed. Unfortunately, some GNU packages depend on
    this bug. GNU make 3.xx is one of them. A patch is included here.
    Please recompile GNU make before installing this library. Otherwise
    you have to use "make -f Makefile" to specify which Makefile to
    use when rebuilding GNU make.

    A back door has been added for the file descriptor in DIR. You need to
    define DIRENT_ILLEGAL_ACCESS to access the dd_fd field. You should use
    dirfd () to get the the file descriptor in DIR. Use this at your own
    risk.

    [...]

    Look for "make-dirent-patch" (or something like that) in the GCC
    subdirectory of sunsite (or mirrors). I believe there is also a patched ELF
    binary.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Samuel Koods
    Cimarron Network Services

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.019 / U:91.544 seconds]