    SubjectRe: 2.2.0 wishlist
    Date
    >                            WISHLIST FOR LINUX 2.2.0
    > * Making the boot process less verbose as an option

    Compile time option perhaps.

    > * Colorizing the boot-up display

    Yeah, lets put pink frills on the edges of the monitor too :-)

    > * Make the system embeddable

    Already underway. Check out the ongoing port of Linux to the 8086.

    > * Journaling file system

    Yes, this WOULD be nice. Anyone working on this? How about as a loop
    filesystem extension, so you e.g. mount ext2fs/minix/etc on top of a jfs
    module?

    > * Undelete command

    This doesn't belong in kernel space.

    > * 32-bit minor/major device numbers

    How about planning on supporting the upcoming 64 bit POSIX API?

    > * STREAM support

    I thought this could be done in user-land, and didnt have to have kernel
    space support. (I seem to remember a shared lib implementation of this).

    > * Moving of all the relevent README files into the Documention
    > directory

    Or symbolic links at least :-)

    > * Ability to change the scheduler at runtime, via loading a module

    I thought the scheduler could be changed per-program. With the POSIX.4 stuff.

    > * physical/logical volume manager (like AIX)

    Does 'MD' fit the bill?

    > * Serial console support

    Someone has already done this.

    -Dan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.017 / U:59.928 seconds]