    SubjectRe: more make help
    Date

    > I think this message highlights a problem that we are going to face
    > more and more frequently as more people upgrade to 2.0
    >
    > Ethen, documentation for the make problem and the ps -aux problem
    > ALREADY exists. It's in the directory,
    > usr/src/linux/Documentation. Obviously, you and many other didn't
    > see/read the file named Changes, which explains all the problems people
    > may have when they upgrade.
    >
    > So, what can be done to make it clearer for people that they need to
    > read this file? Ethen, what specifically would have made it clearer to
    > you where this information was?

    I don't know about Ethen but here's a few things that cause me not to read
    it.

    Maybe a message in 'make config' that said the new kernel could break
    old programs and I should read Changes to see what those programs are.
    Most distributions I get the Changes files contains a bunch of details I
    usually don't care about so I don't bother to read it. I always read the
    READMEs tho. That be another good place to put it is a README in the top
    directory of the tar file.

    Also I took a look in the Documentation directory too but when I was
    looking through the list I was just looking for READMEs not 'Changes'.

    > Should the file be named something else? Is "Changes" too obscure?
    > Should it be in the top level directory?
    >
    > Seriously, Ethan, what would have tipped you off to look at the file?
    > Did you look in the Documentation directory?
    >
    > Perhaps the file "Changes" should be renamed to "READTHISFIRST"?
    >
    > Any ideas people?

    > Mark E. Levitt
    > Department of Speech Communication, Syracuse University
    > E-mail: melevitt@syr.edu
    > Home Page: http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt
    >
    > PGP fingerprint = B8 A3 AA A6 0F 83 9A BE F2 7A 19 F9 15 79 FE A4
    > Public key available from http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt/pgpkey.html

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.021 / U:1.076 seconds]