SubjectRe: 2.0 ethX bogus packet size messages ...
Date
> [[ Note that as an undocumented feature, most 8390 clone NICs can
> actually Tx and Rx giant packets up to 4k in size! Don't try this
> on anything other than a "home-net" or somebody is likely to come
> after you with an axe and blood in their eyes. Besides, it doesn't
> gain you much -- see the Boggs paper on measured capaicty of ethernet
> for a good read of packet size vs # of hosts vs network loading. ]]

Also note correct oversized packets dumped onto a network break certain
well known vendors 8390 based drivers.

> Alan, I think the following patch (to use your dev->change_mtu) to keep
> ether users honest, is probably a good idea.

We could do, but to be honest I dont think we should stop people. Its not
possible to make a computer luserproof. This is something only root can do
and its far less fatal than rm -rf /, which is allowed

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.055 / U:0.328 seconds]