Subjectstrange networking problems in 2.0
I am having some strange networking problems with Linux 2.0.
This is on a new install of RedHat 3.0.3 with all recommended updates.
The machine is an ACER pentium 120, 16 megs ram, 1.2 gig ide drive,
idecd, and tulip-based ethernet board (using tulip driver).
(the net-board is actually an asante Asante-nic PCI board).
Here's what happens:
boot up Linux machine
try to telnet in from SGI: no response from linux machine
telnet from linux machine to SGI: works fine
telnet from SGI to linux machine: works fine

this is especially a problem as I am setting up this machine as an
appletalk server using netatalk, and I need the ethernet to work
properly. This problem has not manifested itself in other situations,
and i am wondering if this is a tulip problem or a problem when appletalk
is compiled into the kernel? my config.in is as follows:
(make that .config.... still thinking old kernels)

CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_KERNEL_ELF=y
CONFIG_M586=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_NO_PATH_MTU_DISCOVERY=y
CONFIG_IP_NOSR=y
CONFIG_SKB_LARGE=y
CONFIG_ATALK=y
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
CONFIG_NET_EISA=y
CONFIG_DEC_ELCP=y
CONFIG_MINIX_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
CONFIG_UMSDOS_FS=y
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_SMB_FS=y
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
CONFIG_SERIAL=y
CONFIG_PRINTER=y
CONFIG_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y
CONFIG_RTC=y

and everything else is disabled (nothing is configured as a module).
i believe this to be a serious kernel bug in either the tulip or tcpip
code and it really needs to be fixed before 2.0

--
Simon Karpen
Sysadmin/Intern, Shodor Educational Foundation

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.037 / U:0.216 seconds]