SubjectRe: SVGA kernel chipset drivers. (yes, again)
Date
Matty said:

> > This is another example of what happens when amatuers post to
> > linux-kernel.... :-)
>
> :) Well I joined to see what I could learn from the "experts" - so I
> don't mind being shot down in flames for making stupid suggestions :)
>
> > If you make the routines VESA complaint, then they can't take advantage
> > of any of the card-specific accelerated features. This means that
> > performance of the X server will go *down* as a result.
>
> That's right, but what I'm thinking of, in more detail, is that VESA
> support should be easier to write, hence it can get into the kernel
> faster. Also, it will support the most cards, initially. Not
> everyone has the same video card! Once this is going, interested ppl can
> then write the card-specific stuff that takes advantage of accellerated
> features of a particular chipset.
> I guess one way of doing this is writing the VESA functions, but the
> actual routines called are compiler macros, so we have (for example)

- But the VESA support on many cards is buggy at best (mine needs a TSR in
dos to work.

- Few cards have true VESA 2.0 code that you use in a 32 bit protected mode
operating system like Linux.

- If you are going to try and use an existing standard, try the Windows NT
drivers, they are the only 32 bit drivers that you can demand from your
card vendor.

--
Jon. <jon@gte.esi.us.es, http://www.esi.us.es/~jon>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.078 / U:0.092 seconds]