    SubjectRe: Zen Penguin on Endorphins (Was: Kernel Naming Society..)
    On Sun, 9 Jun 1996, Shinanyaku wrote:

    > lilo was heard saying ....
    > >
    > > Hmmm, check out the `totem' package,
    > Interesting. I was wondering when we would have driver authors competing.
    > But little did I know that the first fight over "mine" or
    > "yours" would be with the now infamous "animals" patch.
    > > In addition, it's a very well-documented example of how to write a small
    > > kernel module with a /proc interface, and it logs a tasteful one-line header
    > > when it comes up.... :)
    > Ah! But has it been fully tested with kerneld yet? Since I only use
    > the /proc file when my system boots (my rc files re-create my
    > /etc/issue upon boot), I don't want it hanging around soaking up that
    > 1-2K. After all, with 128MB and a 192MB swap partition, I need every K
    > I can scrounge.*

    You know, I honestly have no clue. This might actually be the excuse I've
    needed to try kerneld. :)

    I can also reduce the size somewhat. Almost to half I think. However, I'll
    need a *little* more space when I add the ascii art support.... :)

    > But you know, there was a thread sometime ago about keeping the ext
    > file system still in place. Basically it was to show a simple
    > example. Well, if indeed this is a VERY simple module (using
    > up-to-date methods, etc...), we might want to think about including it
    > simply for demonstration purposes.

    Well, I think this serves as a better demonstration when it doesn't come out
    with the kernel proper.... ``This is how you set up an independent module''
    kind of thing. I'd rather not make such a silly application an integral
    part of the kernel, then someone has to maintain it there forever, and lord
    knows we have enough kernel source tree bloat as it is....

    > Either way, I've had this sucker in place since it came out ... ;)

    Well, good. :)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.018 / U:69.824 seconds]