    SubjectGA5486, can't reboot (2)
    Date

    hi,

    I have a a5486 board, which does not reboot. after unmounting all filesystems
    and writing "Rebooting", the screen goes blank, but after that you'll wait
    infinitely on a reboot.
    under m$/dos, rebooting works. is it done a different way
    (i.e. jmp far fffffff0) ?

    then I removed all hardware I had except for a PCI video card and
    the HDD which is a Quantum Fireball IDE.

    system did not reboot.

    oh well, so I planned on rewriting hard_reset_now, and since I guessed that
    this would surely require some fscks, I changed the disk. I removed the
    1G Quantum Fireball and put in a 80MB disk ("Miniscribe").

    You can imaging how surprised I was, when suddenly the system rebooted
    without problems !

    Does anyone of you understand what's going on here ? How can a hard-disk
    hinder the system rebooting ?! That's beyond my knowledge and understanding...

    Herbert Rosmanith
    herp@wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at
    rosmanith@edvz.uni-linz.ac.at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.018 / U:7.868 seconds]