SubjectRe: Nx586 - NexGen work fine with Linux???
Date

> >Does anybody have a Linux installed at NexGen Nx586 machines??

Many do.

> Other strange happennings are that I can only compile as a 386
> machine as the kernel seems to think I have a 386 (perhaps theres a kludge
> for my bios) and if I modify bugs.h to allow a 486 or 586 compiled kernel
> run on my 586 it crashes as soon as the "AHA1540-2" and associated nits
> have finished I get an unknown opcode 0000.

Not *so* strange... the Nx586 is 386 compatible, but not 486
or pentium, because these chips added cache control
instructions that the Nx586 doesn't even need due (I
believe) to its on-chip cache controller.

Please check out:

> To: nelson-nexgen@emlist.com
>
> The patch for NexGen under Linux-1.3.82+ is now available
> on the web page http://www.cantrip.org/ncm.html . If you
> have it already, it hasn't changed.

[This patch still works fine against 1.3.97.]

> If anybody has a kernel built using it, and can measure a
> difference in performance of anything with and without it,
> please post your measurements to this list.
>
> (NB: The patch includes a configuration choice for CPU. So
> after you apply the patch, you need to reconfigure!)
>
> Nathan Myers
> ncm@cantrip.org http://www.cantrip.org/

--and--

"http://www.scc.net/~matthews/nexgen/" UNOFFICIAL AMD/NexGen Home Page

--and--

Subscribe to the mailing lists...

for Linux on Nx586":

> [Hi! This is the qlist program. I'm handling subscriptions for the
> nelson-nexgen@emlist.com mailing list. I can be reached at
> nelson-nexgen-request@emlist.com. My owner's address
> is nelson-nexgen-owner.
>
> Reminder: Please don't send subscription/unsubscription requests
> to the list itself; send them to me. Thanks.
>
> Instructions: To subscribe to the list, send me a message with SUBSCRIBE
> at the beginning of a line. I'll look for your subscription address in
> the Reply-To field, or From if I don't see Reply-To. Then I'll insert an
> acknowledgment into your message and forward it to the subscription
> address. Unsubscriptions work the same way.]

for general Nx586:

--
Michael J. Micek, peripatetic philosopher. (currently) mmicek@muddcs.cs.hmc.edu
Am hirable (consulting, problem-solving, whatever). Finger for details.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.098 / U:0.804 seconds]