SubjectRe: clone() and pthreads?
In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.960502082513.26122H-100000@linux.cs.helsinki.fi> you write:

|On Wed, 1 May 1996, Thomas =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6nig?= wrote:
|>
|> what's clone() doing these days? One guy claimed (via E-Mail) that
|> he'd written a clone()-based pthreads package, but didn't answer
|> when I asked him where I could get it for testing.
|>
|> Does anybody know anything about this? Is clone() stable enough
|> for this kind of thing?
|
|Essentially, development on clone() stopped, because nobody was using it
|and I couldn't get people to even try, and send me reports. I sent out a
|silly test-program (which has shown up a couple times since then) that
|should give technical people a starting point - certainly if somebody
|would know enough to implement pthreads some other way they should have
|no problem understanding that small code-fragment.

[...]
|I'd be more than happy if somebody comes up with a real use for clone(),
|and starts sending me problem reports.

I can think of one really good use of kernel threads, and that would be for
Java. Java has all the tools for multithreaded programs built in to the
language and in fact always has multiple threads running (e.g. garbage
collection is handled in its own thread).

I wonder if Randy or anyone else is looking into this?

ben
--
"... then the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was
more painful than the risk it took to blossom." -- Anais Nin

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.532 / U:0.456 seconds]