    SubjectRe: sysvinit-2.60
    In article <199605291352.IAA00204@andrewes>,
    Andrew C. Esh <> wrote:
    >Andrew E. Mileski writes:
    > > >
    > > > I upgraded my old Slackware system to sysvinit-2.60, and now shutdown
    > > > sends init a runlevel 6, so get shoved into X every time I try to
    > > > Ctrl-Alt-Del! Also, "init S" puts me in runlevel 5. "init 1" seems to
    > > > work right, except that I need to do a killall5 afterward, or all my
    > > > daemons hang around.
    > > >
    > > <snip>
    > > > Is this weird or what?
    > >
    > > It is perfectly NORMAL, as you have not updated your rc scripts,
    > > or inittab. This is actually explained in the docs.
    >Now that I have been through this a little, with some feedback like
    >this, and from others, I realize what is wrong. Thank you. I would
    >like to point out that there is no mention in any document which comes
    >in sysvinit-2.60-1.tar.gz about any changes to the rc scripts. I
    >grepped, and read everything.

    Hmm. The install file *does* mention that this release works for Debian
    and RedHat, and _might_ work for Slackware 3.0 if you just drop the
    binaries in. It doesn't say that it works for other versions does it?

    > There is a mention of the addition of
    >manpages for rc.boot.and rc.local, but no such manpages are included.

    It's mentioned in the changelog and that is specifically targetted at
    Debian. If you bothered too look in the debian/ directory you would have
    found them.

    >Someone else told me that this is a userspace problem, and therefor
    >should not be discussed on this kernelspace-oriented list.

    And that persion was right.

    >I am
    >discussing this here because I saw sysvinit-2.60 suggested here as a
    >solution to some problems, and in Documentation/Changes, on line 33
    >(1.99.7), the version of SysVinit shown is 2.60. This means that any
    >Slackware user in my situation will have the same problems when they
    >start using SysVinit, as suggested.

    Yup. But when 2.0 comes out, I suggest everyone to upgrade to a
    distribution that supports the 2.0 kernel natively, as you will
    undoubtedly run into more problems. If you do not {want to|cannot}
    understand this, I suggest that you do not upgrade at all and
    stick to a working system (if it ain't broke, dont't fix it!)

    >When Linux 2.0 comes out, that
    >could wind up being quite a few whiney users. Maybe we should update
    >the sysvinit package so that it includes more documentation, and a
    >directory full of example rc scripts.

    For outdated distributions? Even though mcc was the first "real" Linux
    distribution (0.99.10, wasn't it?) I saw, I don't want to supply
    scripts for that now. That's the job of a DISTRIBUTION MAINTAINER.
    And yes, I am one of those. For Debian. FYI, RedHat has a sysvinit
    2.60 RPM out. Does Slackware have a 2.60 update yet? If not, bug
    _them_, not me!

    > If I'd has those, you folks
    >would never have heard from me (about this, at least :).

    I will release a 2.62 that will mention _specifically_ what
    is supported, what not and how to work around it. The README
    file will be a bit more neutral in tone than this post though,
    no worries ;)

    > > If you'd like some workable SysV scripts, just holler at me.

    I just mailed you ;)

    >Thanks to some suggestions from Robert O'Kane, I have a workable
    >system. I really would like to drastically upgrade or even replace my
    >rc scripts, though. They are way old.

    Ah! You got it! complain to SlackWare...

    > If it's not too much trouble,
    >could you send me some (all) of yours? Is there or should we make a
    >package available on TSX or Sunsite which contains SysV rc scripts? If
    >there were such a thing, I would be glad to take the time to help the
    >inrush of complaining Slackware users find it.

    Believe me - if there was a drop-in solution, I would include
    it. It's just that I don't use slackware myself, otherwise
    I would have come with a compatible solution. Now I leave it
    in the hands of the distribution maintainer.

    + Miquel van Smoorenburg + Cistron Internet Services + Living is a |
    | (SP6) | Independent Dutch ISP | horizontal |
    + + + fall +

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.023 / U:3.944 seconds]