    SubjectRe: A little pre-2.0 input
    Date
    In linux.dev.kernel, article <19960514022004.7211.qmail@Mail.UTexas.EDU>,
    lilo <TaRDiS@mail.utexas.edu> writes:

    > > 1) Configuration still seems a tiny bit illogical. For example,
    > > it asks certain things (like CONFIG_ETHERNET) in weird places.
    > > Also, maybe the (NEW) thing shouldn't appear when .config doesn't
    > > already exist?
    >
    > NO!!!! Many of us copy our .config from the previous kernel tree into
    > arch/<whatever/defconfig of the new kernel tree, as a last step before
    > running `make mrproper' and compiling the new kernel.

    The two-tiered defconfig / .config scheme was specifically implemented so
    that your local patches don't make the kernel you just configured
    unpatchable.

    > Don't assume that just because there is no .config, there is no old
    > configuration.

    On the contrary. The reasonable way to supply old config to a new kernel is
    to copy .config from old to new, and then run "make oldconfig". I don't
    know why you would want to replace defconfig.

    I also don't know why you would want to run "make mrproper" before
    compiling a new kernel. "make clean" should be sufficient. (In theory,
    "touch config.h" should be sufficient.) If not, that's a bug in the
    Makefiles.

    It's too bad, by the way, that "make -t" doesn't work right -- too many
    targets are not marked as phony.

    --
    "So, do you live around here often?"
    -- Steve Wright

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:4.941 / U:0.108 seconds]