SubjectRe: majordomo problems?
Date
	I'm interested to know how long it's taking messages to get
out to you *.com'ers, if you could send me one of your message headders
to postmaster@work.nether.net, I'd appreciate it (that person does
the exploding for *.com)

- Jared

David S. Miller graced my mailbox with this long sought knowledge:
> Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 05:39:29 -0700
> From: dougliu@netcom.com (Doug Liu)
>
> I was curious about the majordomo mailing list program--
> why do does mail sent to this mailing list vary in receving time,
> from minutes to weeks?
> I have read that using sendmail 8.x makes the majordomo
> program run more efficiently.
> Just as well, bulk_mailer has been reported to speed up
> delivery times.
> Does this mailing list use the above specified programs?
>
> Pushing terabytes of mail on a daily basis and full ftp archival
> services on a sun4/200, and doing it efficiently is not easy.
>
> There were tons of disk problems which ended up with vger finally
> eating it's /usr and / disk this past weekend, that has been fixed
> completely.
>
> Another problem was that I lost vger's .com exploder for a period of
> time and that domain is the worst beast on the net. I had setup a
> temporary exploder locally but it ran out of /var space and is why the
> response times went down to null and certain poor folks got hit with
> some spam mails, for this I apologize but I was trying my best in
> desperation and I have learned that it is impossible to make everyone
> happy anyways.
>
> This item has been fixed and I have the old exploder back.
>
> I run zmailer as it is the only mailer which can keep up with the load
> all the time when something else isn't causing problems like the
> situations I described just now. Experiments were done with sendmail
> with and without bulk_mailer, and evidence showed sendmail to be a
> complete lose and was not able to keep up with the load vger carries.
> Zmailer was the only mailer able to handle the load on this poor
> overworked machine.
>
> When things go smoothly it can push out all postings within 45
> minutes, and this scenerio whould be returning shortly I hope.
>
> Later,
> David S. Miller
> davem@caip.rutgers.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.062 / U:0.380 seconds]