SubjectRe: majordomo problems?
   Date: 	Thu, 23 May 1996 05:39:29 -0700
From: dougliu@netcom.com (Doug Liu)

I was curious about the majordomo mailing list program--
why do does mail sent to this mailing list vary in receving time,
from minutes to weeks?
I have read that using sendmail 8.x makes the majordomo
program run more efficiently.
Just as well, bulk_mailer has been reported to speed up
delivery times.
Does this mailing list use the above specified programs?

Pushing terabytes of mail on a daily basis and full ftp archival
services on a sun4/200, and doing it efficiently is not easy.

There were tons of disk problems which ended up with vger finally
eating it's /usr and / disk this past weekend, that has been fixed
completely.

Another problem was that I lost vger's .com exploder for a period of
time and that domain is the worst beast on the net. I had setup a
temporary exploder locally but it ran out of /var space and is why the
response times went down to null and certain poor folks got hit with
some spam mails, for this I apologize but I was trying my best in
desperation and I have learned that it is impossible to make everyone
happy anyways.

This item has been fixed and I have the old exploder back.

I run zmailer as it is the only mailer which can keep up with the load
all the time when something else isn't causing problems like the
situations I described just now. Experiments were done with sendmail
with and without bulk_mailer, and evidence showed sendmail to be a
complete lose and was not able to keep up with the load vger carries.
Zmailer was the only mailer able to handle the load on this poor
overworked machine.

When things go smoothly it can push out all postings within 45
minutes, and this scenerio whould be returning shortly I hope.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@caip.rutgers.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.063 / U:0.220 seconds]