    SubjectRe: PPP not running, Oh, WHY?
    On Wed, 1 May 1996, Tamas Nyitrai wrote:

    > Hi there!
    > I have just installed kernel 1.3.92, but I can not get PPP to work. I
    > have tried almost every kerneles form 1.3.81 an up, but neither of it
    > worked with PPP.
    > Now, this might seems to be the usual problem with "get a the new PPP
    > daemon" or get the all the new stuffs... But this is not.
    > The solution maybe is damned easy, but I can not figure it out.
    > O.K. I compile the new kernel, rebooting, everything seems to be working
    > fine, however it says the my system does not supports PPP and yes, the
    > /proc/net/dev holds the same information, despite that at booting time
    > PPP is seems to be there - al least that is what is says.
    > Could anyone help me please?
    > I even tried to compile PPP as modules, but that does not worked either.
    > Thanking you in advance!
    > Tamas
    > -[.sig]---------------------------------------------------------------
    > TAMAS NYITRAI mailto://
    > home page:
    > Preserve nature! This e-mail was printed on 100% recycled electrons!

    I don't know what caused this for me, or why it works now, but I got this
    and then ftp'd the source for it and re-made it on the system. Note: I
    _had_ PPP 2.2.0e?? and only upgraded to 2.2.0f, but I recompiled it on the
    machine with the new kernel... maybe this is what did it.

    Then again, maybe I bumped something else on the way...

    The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men
    of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.
    -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.018 / U:36.468 seconds]