SubjectRe: Possible /etc/kernel.conf?
On Thu, 16 May 1996, Dick Streefland wrote:

> | Whereas I do compile many different kernels as I maintain a linux network
> | of 8 machines + server. What I would like is for make config to recognize
> | an old .config file and tell me about any new options, and hide all the
> | questions about previously existing options. Then I could simply have a
> | .config file for each significantly different computer, and answer a *much*
> | reduced 'make quickconfig' to recompile the kernels. That way I know I can't
> | make a slip whilst answering make config and miss out some important driver
> | from the kernel for one computer and/or put an extra driver into the kernel
> | for another.
>
> This functionality is already there! Simply copy your previous .config
> file and do a "make oldconfig". You will only be prompted to answer
> new configuration items.

Why isn't this mentioned as a standard way of remaking a kernel. I would
have thought that most kernel builds were rebuilds and doing the above
seems a sensible way of upgrading, and should be mentioned as such in the
kernel build instructions?

Adrian.

Adrian Garside, Email : 94ajg2@eng.cam.ac.uk //\ /\\
Old Court, WWW : http://crystal.clare.cam.ac.uk/ || * \ v / * ||
Clare College, \\____\O/____//
Cambridge, / * /O\ * \
CB2 1TL. \__/ " \__/

All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing.
Gender is more or less optional.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.063 / U:3.240 seconds]