SubjectRe: CONFIG_RANDOM option for 1.99.2
Date
Hi,

> > The random generator is sometimes used inside the kernel itself
> > -- for example in my BOOTP code. I think it isn't a good idea to allow
> > disabling it.
>
> It is not used SOMETIMES in the kernel but ONLY in BOOTP and there it is
> incredibble overkill (IMHO.)

OK. There really should be a kernel-level random number generator, because
it's useful in many kernel parts related to networking (although they usually
generate the numbers themselves for now). On the other side, we probably
should make the current high-quality (but high-overhead) generator optional
and create a kernel-level interface to a 32-bit generator using the
high-quality one if it's present or something else (a simple linear
congruential generator?) instead if it isn't.

Martin

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.097 / U:0.424 seconds]