    SubjectRe: Possible /etc/kernel.conf?
    On Tue, 14 May 1996, Hartmut Niemann wrote:

    > > On Mon, 13 May 1996, Shinanyaku wrote:
    > >
    > > > You know. If a /proc/config existed, it could be used during kernel
    > > > configuration also. An autoconfig would be only a script away.
    > >
    > > Well, it would be nice to have an /etc/kernel.conf file, actually. I'm not
    > > sure how useful /proc/config would be, but it would be logical to make
    > >
    > No, a _file_ /etc/kernel.conf is IMO a bad idea. Those who really need to know how a kernel
    > was built usually have more than one kernel to boot, so this information must
    > be stored _in_ the kernel image.

    Quite true... There really should be a /proc/config, IMHO. I wanted to
    check if I had enabled IP Forwarding on one of my machines the other day,
    and since I had compiled the kernel on another machine (and long since
    blown away the source tree) I had to just recompile a kernel.

    How hard would something like this be?

    -Taner
    taner@sdsc.edu The San Diego Supercomputer Center, Workstation Services
    taner@ucsd.edu U. of California, San Diego - Revelle - Computer Sci.
    IRC Admin for irc.sdsc.edu/irc.ucsd.edu/irc.cerf.net
    taner@mecca.epri.com EPRI - 3412 Hillview Ave, Palo Alto, CA
    -------------=[ Linux 1.3.* OS - http://www.sdsc.edu/~taner/ ]=---------------

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.018 / U:2.352 seconds]