    SubjectRe: Kernels - What's in and what's out.
    On Tue, 7 May 1996, Albert Cahalan wrote:
    > > It always amazes me how, whenever any "fantastic" thing that anyone else
    > > is doing, (read other OSs), people always say, "Oo, oo, Linux can do that!
    > > Let's stick it into the kernel!" Most of these things don't belong in the
    > > kernel, and besides, most of these things ALREADY exist in Linux. Like
    > > voice recognition, (can't remember where I saw it, but someone's already
    > > done it for Linux). You just have to know where to find it. I'm not trying
    > > to be nasty to these people who think this way, just merely saying that,
    > > IMHO, a simple kernel is a happy kernel - keep out the garbage!
    >
    > You need some sort of hook in the kernel. The bulk of the voice
    > recognition software can go in user space, but the kernel needs
    > to supply some way to put characters into the keyboard buffer.
    > If not, then voice will only work under X or some other special
    > environment.

    Fair enough, but that shouldn't be more than a dozen lines of code. The
    point I was making was that we shouldn't stuff everything into the
    kernel. I'm all in favour of small kernels. If there was a way of
    reducing the kernel to a ukernel, then I would.

    --
    #!/bin/sh
    echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D3F204445524F42snlbxq'|dc

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.021 / U:29.332 seconds]