SubjectRe: Kernels - What's in and what's out.
On Tue, 7 May 1996, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> > It always amazes me how, whenever any "fantastic" thing that anyone else
> > is doing, (read other OSs), people always say, "Oo, oo, Linux can do that!
> > Let's stick it into the kernel!" Most of these things don't belong in the
> > kernel, and besides, most of these things ALREADY exist in Linux. Like
> > voice recognition, (can't remember where I saw it, but someone's already
> > done it for Linux). You just have to know where to find it. I'm not trying
> > to be nasty to these people who think this way, just merely saying that,
> > IMHO, a simple kernel is a happy kernel - keep out the garbage!
>
> You need some sort of hook in the kernel. The bulk of the voice
> recognition software can go in user space, but the kernel needs
> to supply some way to put characters into the keyboard buffer.
> If not, then voice will only work under X or some other special
> environment.

Fair enough, but that shouldn't be more than a dozen lines of code. The
point I was making was that we shouldn't stuff everything into the
kernel. I'm all in favour of small kernels. If there was a way of
reducing the kernel to a ukernel, then I would.

--
#!/bin/sh
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D3F204445524F42snlbxq'|dc

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans