    SubjectRe: Bad 1.3.95 interactive performance (fwd)
    > I am not claiming that ncrB2L has no bugs, and that your problem is not
    > due to the driver.
    > However, I use X, gcc, etc.. on 2 machines that I switch off only once a
    > week and I never saw your problem.
    > It seems (no reply) that nobody else has had the same problem as yours.
    > Can you send to me (us) the description of your hardware configuration.

    I seem to have exactly the same problem as Matthias. I didn't realize it
    before I read Matthias' post and decided to try going back to Drew's
    driver. Here's what I noticed:

    On lightly loaded machine ncrB2L and Drew's drivers perform exactly the
    same. When I started using X and use constantly around 10MB swap (16MB
    memory), my system's performance went down greatly. I thought it was just
    because of having too little memory and too many memory-hungry programs.

    So I tried switching back to Drew's driver and lo, my system became a lot
    more usable. Swapping stuff in and out is a lot faster and the disk seems
    to make a lot less noice, i.e. it's not in use that much. I'd be happy to
    do some further testing if told what to test. This is just what I noticed.

    My hardware:

    Amd486DX4/100, 128kB L2 cache, MG motherboard, 16MB memory
    Noname-NCR810 board with Conner CFA540S attached to it (10MHz sync transfer)

    Linux versions 1.3.92-97.

    If there's something vital missing, just ask.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.020 / U:150.096 seconds]