    SubjectSystem Information
    I am finally going to be free this summer starting in two weeks to do
    a little programming on the side, before and after my field training.
    I am interested in a System Information program. I don't know how many
    of you have used Norton Utilities, WinProbe, Quarterdeck Manifest, or hell,
    even MSD (Microsoft Debugging Utilit - comes with MSDOS), but I believe
    we could all make like easier on each other if we had a standard way of
    reporting the information of a system.
    So I guess I have two questions. One, does something like this exist out
    there?? And two, I have noticed most of the information is already on
    the system, through various means such as /dev/kmem or /proc, the info
    given from the netstat, df, and dmesg commands, and through a listing of
    all the /lib stuff (for vers of libc etc). Does this sound like a project
    that needs to be taken up?
    I believe that the future development of kernels would be greatly aided
    with a program like this, possible with an option to mail a concise list
    of this stuff to an address. Just curious, and if you have any thoughts,
    let me know.

    Matt Hartley

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.017 / U:1.172 seconds]