SubjectRe: dropping kerneld...
> Yup, I'm missing a lot of pain and useless complications by not
> using kerneld and modules. Quite useless contraptions both.

If you have a lot of 2M and 4M machines doing various "odd jobs"
around your network then modules and kerneld provide a nice solution.
I can use a single kernel for each, only the conf.modules file is different,
very nice. If you need to mount a filesystem you dont normaly then its
transparent and the memory hit is temp. Or maybe you need to dial in via
ppp once a month for an hour, why have ppp loaded all the time on a 2M box.
I cant get this price/performance anywhere but Linux and modules/kerneld
play an important role.

Mike Kilburn