SubjectRe: Amazing what a little RTFM can do :>
On Apr 25, 10:49pm, Philip Blundell wrote:
> Subject: Re: Amazing what a little RTFM can do :>
> On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, David A Willmore wrote:
>
> > CS is a valid way, according to the ATA spec, of selecting the drive. It's
not
> > commonly used as it requires a crossover cable (I may be wrong). The most
>
> I don't think it's a crossover as such. If memory serves, one conductor
> is cut between the two drives. There is a weak internal pullup on the
> drive, and the CS line is tied to ground on the host card, so one drive
> sees a logic 1 and the other a logic 0. It's something like that,
> anyway.

Sounds good. The general idea is that there is something wierd with the cable
which may be difficult for a user to detect, hence, wierd setup problems can
occur when this cable is used with a host adapter and/or drives which don't
expect the cable to have a broken wire. :) I think it's just a 'Bad Idea(tm)'.

Cheers,
David

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.036 / U:0.352 seconds]