SubjectRe: As 2.0 looms
Date
Alain KNAFF:
> >You decide
> >which one you want to use at link time (default is to ignore LD_xxx -
> >it's not necessary except for testing new shared libraries). I think
>
> LD_xxx is also needed for programs such as zlibc, which work by
> redefining certain library calls. Ignoring LD_xxx by default would
> make any such program impractical.

OK, thanks for pointing this out. But you can still make the binaries
use LD_xxx if you want.

There should be a secure LD_PRELOAD equivalent - use a system-wide config
file instead of environment variables. I think David Engel is working on
it (specifying libraries to preload in /etc/ld.so.preload). Is it OK
for zlibc, or does every user really have to be able to redefine library
calls on their own? (/etc/ld.so.preload would be useful for other things
as well, like replacing crypt() with something better.)

Marek

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.063 / U:11.664 seconds]