    SubjectRe: Problems in 1.3.93
    > It is interesting, has POSIX.???? mandatory locks?
    > UNUX^{TM} contains a lot of such queer beasts.
    > All the textbooks (well, maybe, not all, I've read nothing
    > except for Stevens 8)8)) explain that nobody knows for what
    > mandatory locking was invented. Nobody knows useful applications
    > for SYSV IPC semaphores and message queues.

    Semaphores are a must for shared memory processes,
    where the memory has multiple writers (and readers).
    Message queues are a great way to do IPC in pretty
    clean manner.

    These strange looking things have propably appeared
    because they pleased somebody's theory-oriented mind,
    and/or as a customer wanted them... (And we all know
    that the paying customer is always right... Right ?)

    > Unfortunately, linux should comply any standards.
    > POSIX must be respected. The requirements of SVID are allowed
    > to be ignored: linux is not UNIX, isn't it?

    POSIX does not cover everything... One can do POSIX.1,
    and to a certain degree also POSIX.2 (shells) at the MVS!

    > Alexey Kuznetsov.

    /Matti Aarnio <>

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.017 / U:46.540 seconds]