    SubjectRe: SYMMMMETRRRRIC MULTI PENGUINNNNNNN!!!!!!
       Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 23:17:24 -0600 (CST)
    From: "Jonathan A. Davis" <jonathan@evergreen.cc.usm.edu>

    Congratulations!

    Finally! A *real* SMP OS for Sparc CPUS. :-)

    ;-) Many people got confused because I posted that on April 1st

    \|/ ____ \|/
    "@'/ ,. \`@"
    /_| \__/ |_\
    \__U_/

    No worries, it was the real McCoy, I have it working.

    Actually, I do have a Sparc platform question. We have Linux running on a
    lot of machines ranging from i3/4/5/686 CPUS to ALPHAS. The question: Is
    RedHat/whoever looking at creating a distribution for Sparc platform? If
    so, is there a "target date"? I'm enclosing that in quotes as I've
    watched a lot of *my* target dates get filled full of holes :-) so I'm not
    expecting a definitive answer, just a "by the feel of it" estimate if
    anyone has one.

    Yes RedHat is working on a distribution. I've asked the people
    working on userland for the Sparc to give you some info on how things
    are going as far as that goes. Personally I have no clue ;)

    At that point, I will be looking at putting it to real use on several
    Sparcs that are currently (not)running Solaris 2.x. The one's we have
    SunOS licensed for, I can argue into doing what I need done. But
    <OPINION> Solaris 2.x has been nothing but a royal pain in the neck for
    us. </OPINION>

    This is great! Keep me informed, the other SparcLinux hackers and I
    will help you make it as smooth and worry free as possible.

    (And as a side note, SparcLinux very soon will be the first *real*
    parallel OS for Sparc based parallel computers... nyah nyah nyah!)

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    davem@caip.rutgers.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.019 / U:0.608 seconds]