    SubjectRe: Linux-1.3.81
    Date
    In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.960331185920.3613B-100000@linux.cs.Helsinki.FI>,
    Linus Torvalds <torvalds@cs.Helsinki.FI> wrote:

    >Restoring the old behaviour is simple: there is a BROKEN_SUNOS_FIFO
    >define (or something close to that) in fs/pipe.c, and defininf that will
    >use the old code.
    >
    >However, I do like the new code better ("new" - it's actually the
    >original linux behaviour, but I had to change it because too many SunOS
    >people complained). And the new behaviour is also the same as Solaris etc
    >SVR4 boxes, so any truly _portable_ program shouldn't break anyway.

    I just though of something else:

    Say a server (init) is listening on /dev/initfifo. A request comes in,
    init processes it, read()s or select()s again, sees EOF, closes the
    pipe, re-opens it.

    What if a request comes in between the time that EOF is seen and the
    pipe is closed? It is lost. That is _not_ good. One of the reasons
    select() should have the SunOS behaviour instead of the sysv behaviour.

    Mike.
    --
    Miquel van | Cistron Internet Services -- Alphen aan den Rijn.
    Smoorenburg, | mailto:info@cistron.nl http://www.cistron.nl/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:2.543 / U:0.156 seconds]