SubjectRe: Taking stuff out of the kernel
On Sat, 16 Mar 1996, Herbert Rosmanith wrote:

> > Besides the ext2 stuff, can we at least have separate distributions for
> > x86, alpha, sparc, etc? i don't need anything but good ol' intel code,
>
> argh, please not.

Yes! Removing it would REALLY mess up the cross-platform developers!
(i think - it would mess ME up anyways!)

> so what ? 2MB disk space are *nothing*. what do you get from stripping
> it ? nothing.

Whatever you say. I suppose you're one of the lucky ones blessed with
enough drive space to compile the linux kernel. Ah well, whatever.

But hey! If ya got enough space to COMPILE this 'monstrosity' <g>, then
you have enough space to delete these trees if ya don't like 'em. (hmm:
needed compile space: 1995:8m drive space. 1996:32 megs+ [guessing from when
I had to delete X and a lot of other stuff to compile 1.3.57])

The kernel may have ballooned beyond my capability of handling it, but
it's gotten REAL GOOD at supporting everything, so I might as well say
thanks all!

Anyone know of a _STABLE_ compressed file system? This 250 meg drive is
getting REAL cramped!

[and can Linux read Win95 plus-pack compressed drives? or any other
mini-sloth compressions?]

Later, eh?
- Teunis

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.032 / U:1.156 seconds]