    SubjectRe: /proc/misc has bad mode
    Hi,

    Molnar Ingo wrote:

    >[ readonly root filesystem ]
    >whee, almost. what about /etc/ld.so.cache?

    What about it? After installing a library (or when booting), I remount root
    read-write, run ldconfig, then mount it readonly again. I (have to) do the
    same when I want to update config files in /etc.

    In situations where this isn't appropriate, /etc/ld.so.cache can easily be
    symlinked off to /var/whatever, and /sbin/ldconfig can be patched to update
    there.

    Of course, I could have done the same with /etc/mtab, and used mount -n and
    umount -n a whole lot, at boot and shutdown time. But the other advantage
    of /proc/mounts (the first is, of course, that it can't get out of sync) is
    that now three different mount commands won't block each other. This is
    important when booting -- I usually do a parellel fsck+mount, and when two
    of these are done at the same time, previously at least one mount command
    would simply fail. Or they all would hang because another mount command
    would be busy mounting all these slow NFS servers, and yet a third mount
    command would scan the CD-ROM changer and mount all the CDs. (If you think
    I'm crazy, you're probably not entirely wrong. ;-)

    Well, no longer. Now all this is able to run in parallel, and I can
    finally say "mount -atiso9660 &" in my /etc/rc.local, and have that
    ampersand character actually _mean_ something.

    A big Thank You to whoever put in the option handling for /proc/mounts.

    --
    May's Law:
    The quality of correlation is inverely proportional to the density

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.023 / U:0.892 seconds]