SubjectRe: kernel error
Date
On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Joe George wrote:

> >I've recently reinstalled a linux system from scratch except for the
> >kernel, which is 1.3.81 and I've had working fine before. After the
> >install I'm getting the following errors in my syslog file and the system
> >freezes.
>
> >Jan 1 05:48:54 nebula kernel: hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady
> >SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
> >Jan 1 05:48:54 nebula kernel: hda: read_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound },
> >CHS=995/4/38, sector=672985
>
> >Have I gotten something wrong somewhere, or is this a sign that my hda is
> >about to die?
>
> I have had the same types of errors since the mid 1.3.70's I think. Mine
> pops up when I dial the phone (with minicom) while there's a lot of disk
> activity. Always blows a sector or two with a similar type error.

Yes, it's always given that error when there's a lot of disk activity -
installing a Slackware package, untarring a large file, compiling, etc.
I never had that problem before when I was using 1.2.2, so when I
upgraded to 1.3.81 and it started happening I thought it might be the kernel.

> Your HDA is probably not dying, though you should use "fsck -l" to mark
> those blocks (found by running "badblocks") until you can reformat that
> partition. My fix (when is happens) it to use "badblocks -w" to write over
> the defective sectors, then re-mkfs and reload. The surface is *never* bad
> in this case, it's always an incorrectly written data sector.

Ok, I'll try doing this..

> I've gone back to 1.3.11 temporarily to see if it's definitely a kernel
> problem. I'm 99.9% sure it is, and I'd appreciate any news that you might
> get on it.

I've since upgraded to 1.3.89 because someone had told me there was a
problem in the kernel around 1.3.8x with "serial" drives. And so far I
haven't received any more of those errors! (Knocking on wood) Perhaps it
was just a bug in the kernel.

-Chris Messina
cmessina@intercore.net

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.297 / U:1.484 seconds]