SubjectAmazing what a little RTFM can do :>
On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Bryn Paul Arnold Jones wrote:
> > OK, this is probebly my problem right here:
> > Canon Innova P100 (AMI), 16MB ram, PCI, 2 on-board IDE controllers, IDE
> > CD-ROM and 1.2GB Drive.
> > Now, what happens is that the kernel detects that the CD drive is there
> > (I believe), and tries to read it. It's plugged into the second IDE
> > controller slot, so I assumed it would be /dev/hdc, but it reports that
> > /dev/hdc is not a block device. If I try /dev/hdb, then I get (Roughly
> the /dev entries are wrong, master on the second ide is hdc (that's what
> I have here), run the script in /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/MAKEDEV.ide
> (chmod +x on it first).

Did this to no avail, but . . .

> > one. It is normally under COM4 under Win 95 when I boot that, however
> > /dev/cua3 does nothing. My old Practical Peripherals on COM1 works fine,
> Hmm, well it's either a DSP, and propritry (sp?), or a combined sound
> card and modem, and you should be able to get it to work. Although the
> hardware may need a magic incantation to inialise it. You may find that
> first booting dos (windows95), and then useing loadlin may allow you to
> use it (after letting the windows driver initalise it).

I did this, and the modem worked. So I got curious, and started poking
around /usr/src/linux/drivers/block, read through README.ide, and found
the line about adding 'hdd=cdrom'. Tried it and, whaddya know, I DO have
a CD-ROM in my computer :)

At first I had used hdc=cdrom, but I saw that it found nothing there, but
did find it on hdd (For some reason, the drive came from the showroom as
a slave, but since it worked I left it alone). I still get some error
messages on bootup however:
hda: WDC AC31200F, 1222MB w/64KB Cache, LBA, CHS=621/64/63, MaxMult=16
hdd: FX001DE, ATAPI, CDROM drive
ide1: secondary interface on irq 15
ide0: primary interface on irq 14
hdc:hdc: bad access: block=0, count=2
end_request: I/O error, dev 1600, sector 0
unable to read partition table
Max size:309790 Log zone size:2048
First datazone:68 Root inode number 139264
ISO9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
iBCS: socksys registered on character major 30

I imagine the error is because there is a hdd, but no hdc. Either way,
my CDs mount, so I aon't gonna worry about it.

Thanks all. I posted this to the kernel list in case someone else has a
similar problem.

---
You've entered the signature file of . . .| In 1972, a crack commando unit
| was sent to prison for a crime
Steve Huston | they did not commit. They promptly
(spider@uscom.com) | escaped from a maximum security
Palmyra, NJ | stockade to the Los Angeles
Burlington Co. College, Major: Comp. Sci | underground, where they survive
http://www.uscom.com/~spider | in trouble, and if you can find
| them, maybe you can hire...
| The A-Team.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.192 / U:0.012 seconds]