    SubjectRe: Linux-1.3.89
       cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
    Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 22:46:21 -0400
    From: "Eric Schenk" <schenk@cs.toronto.edu>

    Robert L Krawitz <rlk@tiac.net> writes:
    >FTP performance to a solaris host over PPP (28.8 connection) is still
    >slow -- 2.6 KB/sec for uncompressible, 10+ for perfectly
    >compressible. Grabbing something from tsx-11 (which is much further
    >away), I got 3.1 for a .gz file.

    The problem here is on the Solaris end of things. It's just a bit to
    anxious to retransmit things. The main problems seem to be
    in the algorithm for estimating round trip times, and in the
    algorithm to do slow startup on a TCP link. You can help your
    performance a bit by picking a smaller value for MRU
    on your PPP link. I find performance on a 14.4k link
    gets acceptable with an MRU of 552. I'd be interested to
    hear what happens with a 28.8 connection. Note that you still
    need to transfer at least 60k or so of data before the
    cost of the unneeded retransmits starts to be swamped by
    the amount of data you are sending.

    My PPP connection is actually to a Cisco 2509 router on the same
    ethernet as the Solaris host. I can't change the MRU due to a bug in
    the Cisco firmware.

    --
    Robert Krawitz <rlk@tiac.net> http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

    Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@uunet.uu.net
    Tall Clubs International -- tci-request@aptinc.com or 1-800-521-2512

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.017 / U:30.336 seconds]