SubjectRe: Ext2 Problem
Matthew Lepper:

: I could mount every partition except one (my root partition). Since
: I needed to get the machine up a running (it's our router), I
: just dumped the contents of the suspect partition to a file,
: and rebuilt the root file system. A post-mortem revealed:

: - running e2fsck on the file (which is a copy of the partition)
: revealed no errors.

Very interesting, that suddenly everybody starts noticing
this particular problem (assuming it is the same one).
I sent a fix to Linus yesterday, or perhaps the day before.

There is a bad bug in the ext2 file system, namely the fact
that the magic number is not stored in the same relative
position as minix uses. In fact, the minix magic number is
stored where ext2 stores the number of free inodes.
Thus, an ext2 file system with one of four different values
for the number of free inodes will be mounted as minix,
and no doubt cause lots of complaints.

Andries

: - dumping the file to a new partion on another machine, and mounting
: the partition causes the same behavior.

If you mounted as rootfs then probably the above furnishes the
explanation. Otherwise, what error message does a recent mount give?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.117 / U:0.004 seconds]