SubjectRe: Problems with 1.3.90
Date
I'd hate to start anything horrible, but can someone point me to the
answer of the FAQ of "when will the 2.0 stabilization project start?"

I'm a little jealous that you get the lockups and I don't, but I'm
running just fine (famous last words). I did spend the last couple
days worth of Linux upgrading time to focus on updating to all the
major packages mentioned in the new-spangled Documentation/Changes
file (except the package that doesn't support shadow passwords (!)),
so perhaps that contributes to my running smoother?

(BTW, why is it that when I installed the libc5.3.9 (to replace my
Slackware 3.0.0's libc5.0.9) and ran ldconfig, the system seemed to
hum along more efficiently? Some strange paging effect due to half
the running programs using the old file & half using the new, or some
other thing? I haven't noticed the same humming efficiency since
rebooting, but then you know how speed is addictive and you don't
notice it anymore.)

Don: I include FYI my .config lines; I try to fill my kernel with as
much useless junk as I can stand including using the theory that it
will find more errors that can be eliminated sooner, but perhaps too
many people already do this? Everyone else can just skip the rest of
this message.

Q:/usr/src/linux$ egrep -v -e '^#' -e '^$' .config
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
CONFIG_KERNELD=y
CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_PCI_OPTIMIZE=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_KERNEL_ELF=y
CONFIG_M586=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TRITON=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD=y
CONFIG_MD_LINEAR=y
CONFIG_MD_STRIPED=y
CONFIG_FIREWALL=y
CONFIG_NET_ALIAS=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_FORWARD=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL=y
CONFIG_IP_ACCT=y
CONFIG_IP_ROUTER=y
CONFIG_NET_IPIP=y
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL_VERBOSE=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE=y
CONFIG_IP_MROUTE=y
CONFIG_IP_ALIAS=y
CONFIG_INET_PCTCP=y
CONFIG_INET_RARP=m
CONFIG_SKB_LARGE=y
CONFIG_IPX=y
CONFIG_ATALK=m
CONFIG_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_RTNETLINK=y
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m
CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_AUTO_BIOSP=y
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C7xx=y
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_DUMMY=m
CONFIG_SLIP=y
CONFIG_SLIP_COMPRESSED=y
CONFIG_SLIP_SMART=y
CONFIG_PPP=y
CONFIG_PLIP=m
CONFIG_EQUALIZER=m
CONFIG_NET_ALPHA=y
CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_3COM=y
CONFIG_EL3=m
CONFIG_ISDN=m
CONFIG_ISDN_PPP=y
CONFIG_ISDN_PPP_VJ=y
CONFIG_ISDN_MPP=y
CONFIG_ISDN_DRV_TELES=m
CONFIG_ISDN_DRV_ICN=m
CONFIG_QUOTA=y
CONFIG_MINIX_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
CONFIG_UMSDOS_FS=y
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_SMB_FS=m
CONFIG_NCP_FS=m
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
CONFIG_HPFS_FS=m
CONFIG_SYSV_FS=m
CONFIG_SERIAL=y
CONFIG_PRINTER=m
CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y
CONFIG_WATCHDOG=y
CONFIG_SOFT_WATCHDOG=y
CONFIG_RTC=y
CONFIG_SOUND=y
CONFIG_SB=y
CONFIG_UART6850=y
CONFIG_AUDIO=y
CONFIG_MIDI=y
CONFIG_YM3812=y
SBC_BASE=220
SBC_IRQ=7
SBC_DMA=1
SB_DMA2=5
SB_MPU_BASE=0
SB_MPU_IRQ=-1
U6850_BASE=0
U6850_IRQ=-1
DSP_BUFFSIZE=65536
Q:/usr/src/linux$

BTW, ever since not using the buggy Pentium enhancement patches to
gcc2.7.2, I haven't really had any odd behavoir other than the
performance problems with TCP, PPP & SCSI already mentioned here & the
SCSI fora.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.035 / U:0.860 seconds]