    Subject16 MB -> 32 MB, a memory problem resolved!
    An observation.

    This last week I added an additional 16 MB of memory to my 486/DX2
    system for total of 32 MB. I came up with what I thought was an
    unusual problem. With this additional memory installed, the system
    would not boot. It kept stopping at the "VFS: Mounted root (ext2
    filesystem) readonly" message. This is at the point that init is

    I played around with hardware and lilo options and discovered that
    the system would boot okey if I either used the kernel boot command
    option of "mem=16m", or if I turned off the hardware external cache.
    Neither of these options were very good. So I limped along and
    read some linux mail from I do not remember which
    piece of mail it was that I read, because that mail had already hit
    the bit bucket, but some discussion that was being carried on finally
    sank into my brain about adjusting memory options during the boot
    phase of the system to compensate for this kind of a hardware problems.

    What I found out was that if I told the kernel I had 384 KB less
    than what I really had, the system would boot with nearly all of the
    available 32 MB of memory, and the external cache as well.

    I do not know why I cannot use the last 384 KB of memory. Maybe the
    hardware is relocating something it needs to upper memory. The point
    as I see it is that this kind of a problem demonstrates a variation
    in way that motherboards are designed. Linux needs to be able to
    work with as many of these different variations as it can if it is to
    be a successful operating system.

    William M. Perkins Internet -
    The Greenwood or -
    Commodore is dead. Long lives the Amiga! (AmigaOS/Linux/NetBSD)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.019 / U:32.360 seconds]