    SubjectRe: Crash report #1 with SADISTIC_KMALLOC/no modules
    Amazingly enough Linus Torvalds said:
    > Not possible, unless the chip in question does other things wrong. The
    > %cr2 register contains the virtual faulting address, and all the page
    > table lookups on a x86 are physical (and thus the page table lookups can
    > never fault, like on some other architectures).

    Does this mean that you cannot page out page tables at all, or
    it's just a design issue not to? Can the page tables fill up
    physical memory? Does this also limit the amount of memory in
    use to some function of physical memory?

    I seem to remember that the go32 DOS extender used with DJGPP
    v1.x allowed the page tables the be paged out. I'm wondering if
    this is just a slightly different use of terminology here.

    I assume the amount of memory taken up by page tables is
    negligible compared to the pages they represent.

    Mike Castle .-=NEXUS=-. Life is like a clock: You can work constantly and be right all the time, or not work at all and be right at least twice a day. -- mrc
    We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan. -- Watchmen

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.020 / U:26.312 seconds]