    SubjectRe: Linux isn't an operating system
    I have found this thread to be, for the most part, very interesting and
    informative. This probably stems from the fact that my only experience
    with operating systems (including Unix) before discovering Linux, was as
    an outsider, and I hated it. RMS on the other hand, probably doesn't
    really need a tutorial on the similarities and differences of Windows 95
    and the HURD. In fact none of this discussion speaks to his origional
    quest.
    RMS has seen disunity amongst the various Free Software communities, and
    from some of the aggressive language used by participants in this thread
    I would have to agree with him.
    The method he used to try to unify these groups is very remenisent of the
    womens movement attemp to change thoughts by changing language, ie.
    changing chairman to chairperson etc... It was always my view that this
    was working at the wrong end of the stick, and had RMS looked at the
    similarity in the two positions he might have chosen a different tack.
    The point is, however, that none of this got any of us talking about how
    we could cooperate better on the various connectednesses of GNU and
    Linux. More cooperation between these two groups can only benifit everyone.

    Parity on Dudes,

    Dwarf

    aka Dale Scheetz Phone: 1 (904) 877-0257
    Flexible Software Fax: NONE
    Black Creek Critters e-mail: dwarf@polaris.net

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.018 / U:30.104 seconds]